December 9, 2021 COLORADO PASS-THROUGH ENTITY OWNERS: POTENTIAL FOR SUBSTANTIAL TAX SAVINGS BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2022 By Nick Thompson and Dan Block On June 23, 2021, Colorado Governor Jared Polis signed into law the “SALT Parity Act.” Owners of Colorado pass-through...
James B. Lapin
Before joining the firm, Jim operated his own law firm for over 40 years. He is a strong advocate who knows how to win difficult cases while keeping clients informed. He understands how to evaluate complex situations and help clients make strategic decisions along the way to maximize settlements. He has represented individuals, lawyers and law firms, small business and multi-national corporations.
Jim focuses his practice on civil litigation and family law. He has tried hundreds of cases across the judicial districts of Colorado and in Kansas, Oklahoma and California. He has handled dozens of jury trials to verdict, representing plaintiffs and defendants. He has argued cases to the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jim’s settlement of cases for his clients have resulted in millions of dollars of recoveries for plaintiffs and significant savings for defendants.
B.A. University of Colorado
J.D. University of Denver
- Pedge v. RM Holdings, Inc., 75 P.3d 1126 (Colo. App. 2002)
- Curtis v. Nevens, 31 P.3d 146, 2001 DJCAR 4493 (Colo. 2001)
- Wright v. Woller, 976 P.2d 902 (Colo. App. 1999)
- Lira v. Davis, 832 P.2d 240 (Colo. 1992)
- Davis v. Lira, 817 P.2d 539 (Colo. App. 1991)
- Shelter General Ins. Co. v. Progressive Cas. Ins. Co., 796 P.2d 18 (Colo. App. 1990)
- Heatherridge Management Co. v. Benson, 192 Colo. 190, 558 P.2d 435 (Colo. 1976)
Areas of Practice:
James is Martindale-Hubbell® Peer-Review AV-Rated, the highest rating an attorney can achieve, and has been recognized for many years as one of Denver’s Top Lawyers, a Colorado Super Lawyer, and a 5280 Top Colorado Lawyer. James has also been awarded the 2021 Gold Badge from Metro Volunteer Lawyers for volunteering 50 hours or more with Metro Volunteer Lawyers.