March 18, 2020 Nick Thompson, Associate As a result of the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the IRS issued Notice 2020-17 (the “Notice”) extending Federal income tax payment deadlines into the summer for many taxpayers, although it affirmed that the April...
Anthony L. Leffert
Anthony L. Leffert
Anthony L. Leffert is a partner in the firm’s litigation practice group. He represents clients in litigation throughout the United States and regularly has cases in Colorado, New York, California, Texas and Florida. Tony has tried more than 100 jury and court trials. He is admitted to practice law in Colorado, New York and Nebraska.
Tony has more than 25 years’ experience litigating complex business-law, real estate, fraud, construction and white collar criminal cases.
Tony served as a Federal Prosecutor with the Criminal Division, Fraud Section, in Washington D.C. He reported to Robert M. Mueller, Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division for the prosecution of the Bank of Credit and Commerce, Int., Clark Clifford, Robert Altman case. He was later appointed Deputy Special Counsel to the Attorney General for Financial Institution Fraud and worked as an advisor to Attorney General Janet Reno.
B.S. in Accounting, Northwest Missouri State University With Honors
J.D., University of Nebraska
L.L.M. in banking and financial law, Boston University, Senino Award winner
Recent trials include:
- successfully defended employment discrimination case involving employees at hydro-electric dams in Washington State
- successfully prosecuted claims of former partner in energy consulting business-law and successfully defended counter claims for alleged theft of trade secrets
- successfully defended Buddhist Temple on constitutional grounds involving temple governance
- successfully defended skydiving business-law against claims of negligence and nuisance in complex trial involving issues of federal aviation law
- successfully obtained $2 mm jury verdict in Theft of Trade Secrets case involving mechanical designs of equipment
- successfully defended and obtained dismissal of fraud claims against client in connection with a reverse merger with a Chinese National company in Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York
- obtained federal jury verdict in excess of $1.1 million and successfully defended numerous counterclaims by the defendant in a case involving the development of a high-rise condominium project in Clear Lake, Texas
- successful prosecution in a jury trial involving the defective design of oil field equipment and fraud, and successful defense of counterclaims of more than $1 million
- successful prosecution and settlement of a case for a corporate executive wrongfully terminated by the purchaser of his business
- successful defense at trial of a real estate developer together with a judgment for the developer on its counterclaims
- successful defense of a $4.7 million claim for defective software in federal court in New York
- successful prosecution of an employment and breach of fiduciary duty case in Nevada
Areas of Practice:
Bar and Courts:Colorado, New York, Nebraska
Tony was recently inducted as a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation only honor society of experienced trial lawyers.
Tony was a ten-year member of the Colorado Bar Association Ethics Committee. Additionally, he is a Fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Colorado Bar Association, a member of The Faculty of Federal Advocates, a Denver-based organization dedicated to improving the quality of legal practice in Colorado. Tony is actively involved in coaching youth sports and serves as pro bono counsel to Junior Baseball Associations.