By: Jeff Bartholomew April 30, 2020 – Denver, CO FTC Settles Enforcement Action Against Online Marketer of Teas and Skincare Products and Sends Warning Letters to Influencers over Misleading Endorsements On March 5, the Federal Trade Commission (the...
Douglas R. Ferguson
Douglas R. Ferguson
Doug is the chair of the Franchise and Distribution Law department at Robinson, Waters & O’Dorisio. His practice emphasizes franchising and distribution, intellectual property, commercial real estate and lending, securities, corporate, partnership, and limited liability company entities, and general commercial and business law. He is the firm’s most experienced attorney in franchise and distribution law. He provides counsel to several franchisors in both U.S. and international franchising matters.
Doug is a member of the American, Colorado and Denver Bar Associations. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on Franchising and Senior Lawyers Division. He is also a member of the Colorado Bar Association’s Real Estate Law and Business Law Sections.
B.S. in Business Finance, University of Utah
B.S. in Business Marketing, University of Utah
J.D., University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
- Serves as general counsel to numerous companies, both within the franchise sector and outside of it; providing both business and legal advice regarding ongoing business related issues.
- Represents multiple franchisors in the preparation of Franchise Disclosure Documents and the related Franchise Agreements, Multi-Unit Development Agreements, Area Representative Agreements and Master License Agreements, as well as other documents and agreements required to establish a viable franchise concept.
- Assists both start up franchise concepts as well as well-established national and international concepts.
- Represents clients in international franchise matters covering more than 125 countries, including preparing international disclosure documents and related agreements, and obtaining international trademark registrations.
- Represents clients on U.S. and international trademark registration issues, copyright registration issues, intellectual property licensing issues, and protection of intellectual property rights.
- Represents numerous small and medium size non-franchise businesses.
- Represents clients in business sale transactions, including
- $42 million asset sale
- $15 million asset sale
- Purchases and sales of several small and medium size businesses
- Represents clients in numerous real estate purchase and sale transactions, lease transactions, and other real property transactions.
- Represents a lender making multi-million dollar loans.
- Draft and negotiate agreements across all spectrum of industries.
- Currently serves on the Board of Directors of a major investment and business company.
Areas of Practice:
Doug is listed in Best Lawyers in America® for franchise law, Colorado Super Lawyers® for franchise and distribution law, and Colorado Top Lawyers®, and maintains an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell®. He has also been named a Legal Eagle by Franchise Times, reflecting recognition by peers and the editorial board of the industry’s leading publication as one of the best attorneys in franchising.