Denver (August 19, 2021) – Robinson Waters & O’Dorisio P.C. (RWO) is pleased to announce 15 lawyers are included in the 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. In addition to our listed lawyers, the firm celebrates two...
Michelle R. Magruder
Michelle has extensive legal experience in the public and private sector. As a result of her varying areas or practice, she also has extensive trial and hearing experience. She has represented private companies, insurance carriers, individuals, and other entities in the defense of employment discrimination claims, unemployment claims, wage and hour claims, contract disputes, and general liability matters. Michelle provides consultant services for private companies in the areas of risk management and employment law. She also provides management training on a variety of topics.
In addition to providing legal consulting, Michelle has given numerous presentations on topics in the areas of basic management principles; all Federal and State anti-discrimination laws; Federal and State wage and hour laws; the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act; and risk management.
Michelle began her legal career as a prosecutor for the City and County of Denver, trying more than 50 cases in her first year of practicing law. Next, she worked as an Assistant Attorney General with the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, Labor and Civil Rights Unit, where she represented the Colorado Civil Rights Division, the Subsequent Injury Fund, and other state agencies. While working as an Assistant Attorney General, Michelle was recruited by an insurance defense firm to perform litigation defense for a variety of companies.
While practicing in the private sector, Michelle was asked to become the in-house attorney for the City and County of Denver’s Human Resources Agency. There she handled projects for the Director of the Agency, including rewriting personnel rules for the City and County of Denver, and creating the first mediation program to be utilized by City and County of Denver employees.
Michelle was recruited by Zurich Insurance to become in-house counsel where she handled a wide variety of cases and claims. While employed at Zurich Insurance, she was recruited to return to private law firm practice, where she continues to practice.
- J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- B.A., with honors, University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- “Employment Law Seminar,” Automotive Service Association of Colorado Annual Meeting (August 20, 2015)
- “Employment Law Update,” 2015 Annual Mile High SHRM Conference (January 23, 2015)
- “Colorado Employment Law Update,” Denver Business Series (October 17, 2014)
- “Interviewing, Hiring, and Disciplining Employees: How to Avoid Liability,” Client Training Seminar (February 2014)
- “How to Professionally and Successfully Manage Employees,” Client Training Seminar (December 2013)
- “Restrictions Concerning Employer Use of Consumer Credit Information – ‘Employment Opportunity Act’,” Society for Human Resource Management – Colorado Chapter Seminar (March 2014)
- “Overview of Federal Anti-Discrimination / Anti-Harassment Laws,” Client Training Seminar (May 2013)
- “Marijuana Laws and Maintaining a Drug-Free Workforce,” Colorado Claims Association (October 2013)
- “How to Win Unemployment Insurance Claims and New Developments in Colorado Employment Law,” Colorado Auto Dealer Association (August 2013)